Friday, October 05, 2007

Okinawa day one continued...

I really wanted to visit the Blue Seal Ice Cream Parlor. It's a famous chain in Okinawa and I think it's affiliated with Foremost Ice Cream in Hawaii. The sign looks familiar anyway. The ice cream was just so-so, but the flavors were unique. Ube, coconut, papaya and other tropical flavors you can't get in Japan.
In the evening we had some local cuisine.
Chanpuru, which is a stir-fry of local ingredients, was simple and delicious.
This is the famous Rafti, belly pork simmered until melt-in-your-mouth tender.
This beef salad was great.
Stir-fried somen noodles with vegetables.

After the meal, my mouth was hurting and I was drained. We went shopping at a supermarket I really wanted to visit. I forgot the name, but they had a very good apple pie there. We purchased some Okinawan goodies to take back home and a bag of dragon fruit, which is now one of my favorite fruits!

I was very nervous going to sleep as the night before I woke up with a terrible panic attack and had to the emergency room. Fortunately, I slept well and survived the night.



No comments: