Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Looking at the bright side

Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I've had Bells Palsy. Never heard of it before but since then, I've started reading up on it intensely and visiting forums here and there to find out as much as I could about this illness. I don't even know if it's considered an illness as it's supposed to be more like an injury to a certain nerve, almost like a broken bone.

My first week was frustrating because it didn't seem as though my doctor understood what I was going through. He didn't have many answers, just general ones that didn't make me feel any better. It was like, you have it, you rest and get better in about 2-3 months. That's all. Bye. No follow up appoinment, no advice.,,.,nada.

Reading up on Bells Palsy, I realized there were many things you should and shouldn't do during recovery only through forums on the internet where other people were experiencing the same thing. So here were some important things I should do while recuperating.

I should get lots of rest and listen to my body. I should continue to take my supplements because my body needs it more so at this time in my recovery. I should keep my eyes lubricated at all times to avoid dry eye and permanent injury.

ON the other hand, I shouldn't massage it or try to force movement while recovering as it may cause further damage. I shouldn't stress myself anymore than necessary. I shouldn't be afraid to get a second or even a third opinion.

Well, the thing is, the neorologist I went to gave me absolutely no advice. What's up with that anyway?

All I say is thank God for the internet. I don't trust doctors anymore and they really piss me off sometimes. Not just with this Bells Palsy thing, but even with my panic attacks that sometimes affect me to the point where I have to call the fucking ambulance. Yeah, it feels like a good ole heart attack sometimes.

So I just have to say fuck it and learn to take control of things myself as best as I can. Getting the necessary info and finding ways to cope with whatever I have. Like I said, forums help a lot for both my Bells Palsy and panic attacks. Again, thank God for the internet. I can't say it enough.

One other thing that's been a savior is SECOND LIFE. It's something like MSN, skype and an online community all in one in a virtual world where you can pretty much do anything you like,,,seriously folks, this is cool stuff. The other day, one of my real life friend and I took a trip to the island of Mykonos. We sat on a oceanside bench just chatting. We also went to do some shopping and after that, spent about 15 minutes dancing at a gay club! Cool don't ya think?

If anyone wants to join me in Second LIfe, let me know and I'll send you a personal invite. That way we are instantly connected. Cool don't ya think?

With all the negative things that were getting me down recently, I try to focus on the bright side. This could have been worse...much worse. I've still alive and my friends sent me some beautiful flowers which brought tears to my eyes. I'm having fun in SECOND LIFE and have met some really cool people there. I have more time to talk to my mom on the phone and even my sister called. I have a great slice of delicious cheesecake today, which just made my day. I have a new bag that I just purchased for close to $1000US...yeah I know, see what can be achieved when you have Bells Palsy? Hehehe...

Like I said things could have been worse.

No comments: