Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Osaka trip

By the way, did I mention that I went to Osaka and Kyoto 2 weeks ago? I know I shouldn't have gone and I should've been working, but it was worth it. I've never been to Universal Studios Japan during the Christmas season and I really wanted to go and see the place all decorated for the holidays. I felt like a kid all over again and could hardly sleep a wink on the midnight bus on the way over. We arrived at around 7am in Osaka and although I really wanted to get a cup of coffee and something to eat, my partner was getting antsy and was already checking the time for the next train to Universal Studios. He's always that way and never notices how hungry/tired/thirsty/irritated/horny I am. I insisted that we find a public restroom so I could brush my teeth and wash my face after the bus ride. I mean we just sort of woke up and isn't that what normal people do? Sheeeshh!






Anyway, I did manage to steer him away from the train timetable and allow me to wash up. I got myself a can of hot tea from a vending machine as we speeded through the turnstiles for the train to Universal. We got there in about 20 minutes and it seemed like everyone was heading towards the same place. The park was not open yet so we checked into our hotel. We were staying at one of Universal's official hotel and it looked really nice. It was too early to check it so we had them keep our bags and were told that we could check in at 3pm. We had some time so we went to Starbucks where I got myself a steaming cup of non-fat latte and a strawberry creme scone. It was good, but I really should have gotten myself a chocolate one. It wasn't as good. As we sat there, we could see people rushing to get to the parks even though it wasn't open yet and we anticipated the park to be crowded today.


Sure enough as we got to the gates, there were massive lines. Were got our tickets and decided to splurge for the fast-pass add-on. Sure they cost money, but hey we could save a lot of time this way. I love Universal Studios because it reminds me of America. Now only if they had real American food, I'd be in heaven. We easily went on most of the major attractions, took in a couple of shows, and had a mediocre hamburger for lunch. I was determined to buy myself the Santa Claus sweet bread that was on sale after 4pm as I checked for it on the internet. I was so excited to have it in hand and although it didn't taste that great, it was just too cute! In fact I saved it until the next morning...I mean it was Santa and I just couldn't make myself bite into his cute little head! By the way, the hotel was very nice and the rooms were beautiful. They were not deluxe accomodations, but it was more than I was expecting. I'd definitely stay here again.
By the way, the decorations were beautiful especially on the main street of the park. I must admit though that Disney does a better job with Christmas decorations. It seems as though they spent all the money on the main tree. It is one huge tree and it's awesome at night! I just wish they had put in somewhere more central where people could see it from all angles. It's at the end of a small and narrow road so to go and see it, you really have to sort of get in line. It was kind of troublesome and we decided that it was still ok from a distance and didn't go through the trouble of getting up close. The tree changed color...one moment turning blue and the next a fiery red color! It was one of the most spectacular trees I've ever seen and this alone made my trip to Osaka's Universal worthwhile.

No comments: